Our peer-support model is what differentiates Bereaved Families of Ontario – Midwestern Region from other forms of support. All of our groups are run by facilitators who are themselves bereaved, and many of our members find facilitating to be a rewarding way to give back.
Our facilitators provide support for our Parents Grieving the Death of an Infant, Parents Grieving the Death of a Child, Grandparents Grieving the Death of a Grandchild and Living with Loss support groups.
Along with lived bereavement experience, our facilitator training is mandatory to volunteer as a peer facilitator with BFO-MR.
PLEASE NOTE: Our facilitator training program is structured around BFO-MR philosophies, program structure, policies and procedures for running our peer support groups and is not a general facilitation course. While we occasionally accept applicants wishing to take the training for professional development (for a $150 fee), the primary objective of this program is to train volunteer facilitators for BFO-MR peer support groups.
Content covered includes:
- Grief theory and the grieving process
- BFO-MR group structure, content and process
- Facilitation skills and exercises
Our current program priority areas include:
- Parents grieving the death of an infant
- Parents grieving the death of a child
- Living with Loss – Mount Forest
- Living with Loss – Guelph
Individuals will complete this training with a strong understanding of peer support, and gain the skills and confidence required to facilitate individuals in a group setting for BFO-MR programming. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
A few things to keep in mind before applying:
- Be aware of your limitations and ensure you are in a place in your life where you are able to make a commitment to volunteering with BFO-MR. We require at least a one-year commitment.
- Our 20-hour facilitator training takes place over multiple days and you are required to attend the full program.
- If you are interested in being a Living with Loss facilitator, we highly recommend attending 2-3 groups in advance of the training. You are welcome to join us at our Kitchener, Cambridge or Mount Forest locations.
Please Note: All applicants are required to complete an interview prior to training
We are now accepting applications for our Spring 2017 training which takes place at The Family Centre, 65 Hanson Avenue, Kitchener ON.
Our 20-hour program runs:
- Friday April 21 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday April 22 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday April 23 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday April 26 6 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
If you are interested in participating in our next training session….APPLY TODAY!
Application deadline: March 31, 2017
For more information, please email or call the office at 519-603-0196.