The Tree of Bright Stars is a caring comforting memorial where those whose lives have been touched by loss can unite in support and acknowledge that the holiday season can be an especially difficult time in the journey of grief. During the service, guests are invited to dedicate a personalized, stained glass or engraved star in memory of their loved one. The event typically takes place the third Friday in November.
- Create a safe, comforting environment of remembrance for those who are grieving
- Fellowship and community building among people who are travelling their grief journey
- Members can unite in support and acknowledge that the holiday season can be especially difficult for those who are grieving
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The organizing committee for the Tree of Bright Stars plays an integral role in ensuring we can continue to offer this event as an opportunity for our members to memorialize their loved ones. This committee actively participates and works with BFO-MR staff to:
- Ensure the goals of the event align with the BFO-MR mission and that the needs of our members are at the forefront of all of our decisions
- Identify and pursue opportunities for corporate/individual support of this event through in-kind donations or sponsorships for baked goods, decorations, etc.
- Provide input into the design of the stars and explore opportunities to offer new options
- Identify and connect with singers/musicians to perform at the event
- Identify the focus of the event and decide on speakers who will be comfortable sharing their stories
- Research and suggest poems, songs, etc. to incorporate into the evening
- Roll out the promotional activities as appropriate
- Along with BFO-MR, identify and connect with potential volunteers who can support the event on the day of
- Day of set-up support as needed
- Committee meetings are held once per month beginning in June. An initial “get started” meeting will be held in February.
- Meetings may be more frequent closer to the event in November
THE IMPACT OF YOUR INVOLVEMENT
The Tree of Bright Stars is one of our most beloved memorial events. It isn’t just an opportunity to acknowledge our loss, it’s an opportunity to share in the fellowship of others who share in the grief experience. It’s a powerful event for the more than 300 people who attend every year.
Please contact Bereaved Families of Ontario – Midwestern Region at 519-603-0196 or email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering and to learn more about this opportunity, or fill out our Volunteer Application Form and email it to us.